The concept is simple, but the rewards are priceless! Read a book (any book) to your newborn, infant, and/or toddler. The goal is to read 1,000 books (yes, you can repeat books!) before your child starts kindergarten.
If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read 365 books in 1 year; that is 730 books in 2 years and 1,095 books in 3 years! If you consider that most children start kindergarten at around 5 years of age, you have more time than you think (so get started)! 1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a self-paced program and has no end date except your child’s going to school. Parents and caregivers decide how often and how long you read to your child and what books to read. All books count, even repeats!
Exciting News! 1000 Books Before Kindergarten is now Virtual!
1. Register your child using the free Beanstack app
2. Log your child's reading in the Beanstack app or print this paper Reading Log to track your child's progress at home.
3. At each 100-book milestone (100 books, 200 books, etc.) stop by the Library and we will celebrate your child’s success and hand out a small reward. At 100 books read your child gets a fox character to put on the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten wall, and gets to move his character up the wall for every 100 books read until it reaches 1000!
4. When your child reaches 1,000 books, stop by the Library to have your child's picture taken and posted on the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Wall of Finishers. Additionally, your child receives a FREE book from Morley Library, a small prize, and a certificate of completion as a keepsake.
5. Remember: Just read with your child and ENJOY!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who can participate in this program?
How long will the program take?
How many of my children can participate?
Do we have to read books from the library?
Can I count a book more than once?
| My Account | Contact Us