OPLIN, Internet, Wireless Access and Computer Use Policy
1. Use of the in-house Ohio Public Library Information Network, Morley Library’s Internet provider, and the word processing computers will be on a first come, first served basis. The Library also offers free wireless Internet access via an open, unsecured wireless network. In order to connect, your computer must be WiFi (Wireless Fidelity) compatible, with an 802.11b or 802.11g standard WiFi network card already installed. WiFi signal strength varies within the Library.
2. As with other library materials, parents or guardians of minor children are responsible for their children’s use of OPLIN and the Internet through Morley Library’s connection. Parents or legal guardians are advised to supervise their children’s Internet sessions.
3. Users may send or receive e-mail using web-based e-mail sources such as Yahoo, MSN or Hot Mail. Access to certain social networking sites is permitted on select computers in the Computer Center.
4. Morley Library computers have Websense Enterprise governing access. While Morley Library respects the intellectual freedom of its users, Morley Library is obligated to adhere to Ohio Revised Code 3375.351 and Ohio Revised Code 3375.352. Some ports and network services may be unavailable.
5. Users should be aware that privacy and security can not be guaranteed online. Morley Library recommends that users do not reveal any personal information while online. Morley Library is not responsible for any theft of personal information resulting from online access by users, including but not limited to credit card information, social security numbers, etc.
6. Communications over a wireless network are less secure than through a hard-wired network. Information sent from or to your laptop can be captured by anyone with a wireless device and appropriate software within approximately two hundred feet. It is recommended that you do not use such a network to transmit personal, financial, legal or other sensitive information. The wireless connection is used entirely at the risk of the user.
7. Users will be charged 10 cents per page for computer printouts. Patrons may not provide their own paper. All printouts are required to be picked up at the end of the session. Copies that are left behind will be discarded. Users are responsible for every page printed during the session unless there is printer malfunction. Printing is not available over the wireless network.
8. Users are prohibited from attempting to modify or gain access to files, passwords, or data belonging to the Library or others; Users may not seek unauthorized access to any computer system, or damage or alter software components of any network, host server or database, or perform any other practice commonly known as hacking.
9. Some uses of the Internet are strictly prohibited. These include but are not limited to the following:
Use of the Internet and computers is a privilege, not a right. Abuse of the Library’s policies and procedures for Internet and computer use will result in cancellation of this privilege. In addition, all Morley Library behavioral policies apply. Appeals for any actions that restrict computer and/or Internet use privileges may be submitted in writing to the Library Director.
Passed by the Morley Library Board of Trustees 14 February, 2004
Amended by the Morley Library Board of Trustees 15 February, 2006
Amended by the Morley Library Board of Trustees 19 November 2008